AMBC congratulates Corey Korpela on winning the 2015 Santa Cruz bike raffle! Huge thanks to EVERYONE who purchased a ticket to support AMBC, and huge thanks to Harper’s Bike Shop for sponsoring another amazing giveaway!
Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day
This was a great event! There 60 people out for the event held at the Wood property beginner loop. We love to see such enthusiasm for mountain biking from the parents and kids. We can’t wait to get more involved in this event next year!
Oak Ridge Trail Day
Brad Spears shared the back story of the Oak Ridge trail project and the success of the recent work day. There were 53 people out to build the 1.3 mile “Sink Hole Trail” in the North Boundary area! This is significant in that it could open the door to over 22,000 acres of land owned by the Department of Energy in Oak Ridge. Great job on this to everyone who helped and thanks to the sponsors: RSI, UCOR, Knoxville Bicycle Company, and Yee Haw Brewing.
12 Hour HOT Race
Thanks to John Baker & Co. for another fantastic 12 Hour HOT Race! It never disappoints. And many thanks to all the awesome volunteers!
What a fun day for our city! Were you there?! Want to do it again?? Write your local government representatives and tell them!
River Sports Pint Night!
This month’s Pint Night at Riversports Outfitters is benefitting the AMBC! Tomorrow night, 6-9 pm. The first 200 people get a custom pint glass filled with a delicious beer and one refill for a mere $5 donation to the club! Yakima is the sponsor and is sure to have cool stuff for raffle. Food truck too! Ride down and join us!
AMBC Fall Fest
It’s here!! Saturday, November 7 at Helix Lane! Here’s the main things to know:
- It’s awesome. Done.
- Park and Ride! There is very limited parking onsite so PLEASE park at Anderson School and ride in.
- Spend the night! There will be onsite camping, which is fun and SAFE! Feel free to set up your campsite Friday night, or drive in Saturday and set up and then park offsite.
- Learn all the skills! There are clinics galore! Read about them here.
- RAFFLE. WIN BIKES!
- SILENT AUCTION. BUY STUFF!
- We need a ton of volunteers to pull this off! Please let us know if you can help out for a very short shift. You’ll still get to ride and play!
- Eat breakfast! TVB will be cooking up a hot breakfast on Sunday morning and they promise an exciting culinary experience!
- November 21 – Mead’s Quarry – We’ll be working in Marie Myers and on trash cleanup on our adopted street Burnett Creek Road. Sponsored by Cycology Bicycles.
- December 12 – Sharps Ridge – Sponsored by TVB.
One More Thing!
Congress is considering three amendments to the transportation bill that would significantly reduce federal bike funding by cutting two critical programs, the Recreational Trails Program and the Transportation Alternatives Program. RTP directly impacts our quality of riding in Knoxville and is responsible for more than 10 Miles in our Urban Wilderness. The most recent project is the 6 miles that Legacy Parks is currently building at the Wood Property. Follow the People for Bikes initiatives and let our representatives know the importance of these programs. Click here for more information!
We’ll see you at the next meeting on Monday, November 23!
This year we’re expanding Fall Festival to add some special skills clinics for riders of all levels! Pre-registration is encouraged for all clinics, and you can pre-register online.
Friday, November 6
Take Aim Cycling Clinics
Maximum of 6 participants. Cost for each clinic: $60 per person. Register online »
- 2pm-4pm Descending: Using advanced braking techniques and body position, we’ll work on descending confidently and creating flow.
- 4:30-6:30pm Jumping 101 Pressure Control: Intermediate riders looking to start getting their tires off the ground and feel confident.
Saturday, November 7
Take Aim Cycling Clinics
- 9am, 10:15, 11:30, 12:45pm, 2pm Hour to empower clinics: 1 hour sessions to get the basic concepts down of specific skills.
- Wheel Lifts For Logs and Obstacles: Front and Rear Lifts. Two wheel lifts.
- Pumptrack Flow: Techniques for riding a pumptack with more speed and flow.
- Cornering: Fundamentals of cornering.
- 2 Skills 4 Life: Body Position and Braking: These two skills will help you unlock more confidence on the trail for all all your riding. Great for beginner and intermediate riders.
- Jumps: Air curious? The steps to start floating jumps.
Sunday, November 8
Spoked Women’s Mountain Bike Clinic
- 9am – 12:30pm Skills- and trail-focused clinic for women. Maximum of 10 participants. Cost: $50. Register online »
Take Aim Cycling Clinics
- 10am-12pm, 1pm-3pm. Choose two:
- Advanced Drops: Learn to ride at trail speed off drops.
- Jumping 201: Experienced riders looking to begin consistent jumping, start clearing jumps and landing confidently.
- Advanced Cornering: Highspeed, countersteering, and cutties. Intermediate to expert riders.
This year’s AMBC Bike Raffle prize is a RIDER’S CHOICE! Enter here to win your choice of size and model of Santa Cruz or Juliana bike below (with C Carbon frame and R level Build Kit — retail value $3599.00), thanks to our friends at Harper’s Bike Shop!
Entries are only $10 each, and you can enter as many times as you like. All proceeds go to AMBC, to further the development and improvement of mountain bike trails in our area. The drawing will happen on November 7th at 8pm at the AMBC Fall Festival, but you don’t need to be present to win. The bike will be available for local pickup in Knoxville, or the winner may arrange shipping at his or her expense.
Visit Harper’s Bike Shop for information on demos of these bikes.
Online entries are closed. You can still enter in person at Fall Festival on Saturday, November 7!